Friday, September 25, 2009

The Western Wall & A Dip in a Natural Spring

Shabbat Shalom!

I wanted to write a quick blog and post some pictures simply because I got to experience two really cool things.

The first is that I went to the Kotel (Wailing Wall) with Gal yesterday. I just wanted to stop by, say a quick prayer and maybe go out for drinks after. Sounds simple enough, right? Remember I told you about Slekhot...well let me tell you - if there is anywhere to go for repentance - it's the Kotel!!! Gal and I got there around 11:45pm....AND IT WAS MADNESS!!!!! SSSOOOOOO many people. It took about 10 minutes to get through security and into the plaza because the line was so long. Once there my jaw just dropped. There were people EVERYWHERE. It looked as if the ground was swarming! Women, men, children, elderly - all at the Kotel - praying, hanging around, singing, clapping, hugging, crying. It's truly an incredible sight.

I decided that I was going to try and get to the wall just to touch it and then leave. Call me crazy or stupid, but I went for it! It took me about 15 minutes to get through the ridiculous crowd. Women were pushing, shoving, elbowing...oi! Not going to lie - I DID have a moment of weakness where I thought of just turning back and getting the hell out of this outrageous crowd. But I was sooo close I decided to stick with it and did in fact, manage to touch the wall!!! hahaha. It sounds so silly but I'm really glad that I did it. Gal and I actually ended up staying for about 2.5 hours - just hanging out, people watching, praying a bit, and listening to people blow the shofar! It really was great! Oh, and by the time we were getting to leave (2:00am) - believe it or not - the crowd got EVEN BIGGER!!! I have before and after pictures for comparison! ahha.





So that's that. The other little cool thing that I did today, is my recently aquired friend, Avi, invited me to go with him and his friend Aryeh to a natural spring. There are actually 200 different natural springs all over Jerusalem that you can go and swim in. It was REALLY great to take a dip before shabbat, hang out in the warm sunshine and have some good laughs. Pictures of this as well.





That's really it, but I just thought that it was too good to pass up writing in the blog. Now I gotta run to get ready for shabbat :)

Shabbat Shalom!!!!!
<3

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a huge crowd! I would not be comfortable there at all with all those people around. I can't believe you actually made it to the front of all those people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah - i'm glad that i got to experience this kind of madness once - but i can honestly say that it's not my type of thing. i prefer going there and having enough space to have a personal moment and NOT worry about being trampled to death! :-P

    ReplyDelete