Friday, September 11, 2009

Start of IGF, Herzeliya & Shabbat in Rehavia

Shalom all,

Sorry about the lag since my last post. Things are starting to ramp up over on my end, so you'll have to forgive me if my blogs are not quite as consistent as they were when I first started out. It has only been a couple of days but I feel like it's going to take pages for me to catch up in writing. ;-)

Okay, lets start with the fact that the IGF program has OFFICIALLY begun as of September 9, 2009 (which was a Wednesday). Got to the BC* (Begin Center) at 8:30am, dressed in business casual and pumped with excitement. I finally got to formally meet EVERYBODY in our group as people and at 8:45 - the day officially began. We all went into one of the conference rooms where the chairs were arranged in a circle and the entire staff of IGF, as well as Herzl Makof were seated at the head of the room.
Tamar (the director) began with an opening statement and then Mr. Makov took some time to tell us about the BC, the IGF program, and his high expectations/standards for us. We were also given folders which had various forms and information inside for us to look through./sign. Then Tamar took about an hour to go through a power-point presentation which was a more detailed explanation of what the program will consist of, how our days will look, rules/regulations, ect ect. Then lunch (which was provided to us) and then we went outside for some 'bonding/getting to know each other' activities.
In short, the first day was exactly what you would expect it to be - exhilirating, inspiring, and basic information.

There isn't much to speak of for the second day, except that we met with the Ulpan (hebrew training) people, who assessed our hebrew skills, provided us with some books/audio material and......I FINALLY GOT A CELLPHONE!!! This means that as of Thursday, all of the main necessities for life (apt, internet, bank account, and cellphone) have successfully been established! In 8 days, I would say that's pretty good :)

Right after I got my cellphone, I came home to quickly change/shower and then meet my highschool friend, Amir, in Herzeliya. Herzeliya is very close to Tel Aviv (North of JLem) and is beautiful, on the waterfront, and a rather wealthy area! I was meeting Amir because I was invited to his sister's 'hina' ceremony (http://www.jewcy.com/post/henna_ceremony). Turns out that Amir's uncle is a very well know and incredibly wealthy entrepreneur who has an UNBELIEVABLE 6 story house on a cliff overlooking the ocean. His uncle is next-door neighbors with the Israeli embassador to the U.S!! seriously! Everything took place in the 'back-yard' (which could host a small country), with open bar, live band, a belly dancer, delicious bouffet and traditional dance! If that's not crazy enough. - get this - Amir's uncle has two sons...his eldest's name is Ori. ORI and I went to 2-4th grade together when they lived in the states. So after 13 years, here I was - in Ori's house, invited by his cousin!!!! RIDICULOUS!!! only in Israel - seriously!!! The whole thing was totally insane, lavish, and on the whole - entirely unbelievable!

And so we get to today - Friday. I didn't really have any set plans for Shabbat (nor do I have any food), but Netanel told me about this Shul (temple) very close to me, where there are a lot of Americans and good vibes. So, I decided to check it out. Maybe get lucky and get invited to go eat somewhere (since my apt is barren right now). Before I even stepped into the temple, I met a couple and a young guy who were walking to the same place, and the young guy (Egal) immediately asked if I had any plans for dinner and invited me to spend shabbat with him and his friends!
The service itself left me speechless. I have never heard the prayers sung the way that they were at this temple. The singing honestly almost brought me to tears - it was *that* beautiful! Needless to say, I am DEFINITELY going to that shul for shabbat services when ever I am staying in the area!
And so, I joined Egal, his flatmate and other buddies for dinner. The food was delicious, the atmosphere was friendly and inviting, and the conversation was intelligent, funny and engaging!

I almost don't know how to describe the familial, open and inviting mentality that envelopes Israel (Jerusalem especially). There has not been a moment since I've come that I have ever felt truely lost, lonely, or helpless - simply because I know, that if I really need to, I can stop anybody on the street or knock on a neighbors door, or grab a passenger on a bus or, or, or... that's just normal here! Maybe after some time I will be able to describe it better or find some kind of explanation for it - but for now - I'm just blown away and grateful for everything and everybody I have come across.

With that said, I was invited to one place for kiddush tomorrow and then lunch at Egal's. The best part, is that all these places are within 10-15 min walking distance from my flat! Life is so good sometimes! :-D

I know it seems a bit short for a couple days worth of info, but that's really the bulk of it. Tomorrow is just lunch and studying Hebrew. Sundays are work days here, which means that Ulpan officially begins and my task is to know how to WRITE all of the hebrew letters in script by Sunday morning, 8:45am. I'm REALLY excited to be starting Hebrew and am especially motivated! The sooner I start speaking Hebrew the better! I can't wait!

Alright then - it's 2am for me here and I am in dire need of sleep. I'll be writing again soon :)

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment