Friday, September 18, 2009

First Week of IGF and a Few Adventures


Shalom Anashim! (people)

It's hard to believe that the first week of IGF is already done - feels like I have been here for so long already! The reason why I was not able to write sooner is because the program has kept me unbelievably busy. Our days start at 8:45am and last until (at least) 5pm! We are talking 3 hours of intense Ulpan, lunch break, and then several lectures. Upon leaving the Begin center what do we do? --- Go home to STUDY!!! Yep, that's more or less how my days have been going. The Ulpan is coming along (slowly but surely).

I'll admit that for me, personally, it's a lot of work. Maybe it's because I haven't studied like this (raw memorization/quizez) since high school and my brain is out of practice. Maybe I'm just slightly retarded. What ever the case may be, I've been spending at least 3 hours a day studying Hebrew. Sitting at the bus stop, getting to class early, waking up early in the morning - most of these activities are done with vocabulary flashcards in hand and hebrew language audio tracks playing on my iPod. It's pretty nuts but I like that I'm getting pushed. The harder I work the sooner I will be haggling with Israeli's at the shuk (market). So it's all *sababa* (cool).

However, with all of the work that is required of me, I have managed to sneak in a couple fun things here and there. ;-) Two days ago, there was a street fair for the upcoming holiday- Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Years). The entire street, called Emek Refaim, was closed off. There were vendors selling all sorts of knick-knacks, jewelry, paintings, food, ect ect. There were also about 5 different stages with live bands playing a variety of music - everything from electronica, to jazz, to traditional Jewish songs. It was just really nice to walk around, hear some good music, and hang out with a couple of my fellow IGF'ers.

Yesterday, after the ‘work day’, the IGF staff organized a little toast for all of the current IGF participants as well as IGF alumni. There were little glasses with wine and lots of yummy sweet munchies (to symbolize a sweet new year). Mr. Makov gave a small toast wishing us success in this upcoming and very exciting year ahead of us. After a bit of schmoozing, we had a ‘lecture’ by a young guy named Ben. He basically talked about the significance and meaning of Rosh Hashana, the dual (and sometimes contradictory) ideas of repentance and forgiveness. It was good, but just a bit late in the evening for any of us to fully appreciate the gravity of the things he was talking about. In short – we are all a bit tired!

Following the talk, we were ‘free to go’ and I got lucky enough to be invited to a concert. The band playing was this famous Israeli band called ‘beit habubot’ which translates to ‘dollhouse’ or ‘house of puppets’ (not sure which one is more correct). I am not really familiar with their music (except for one song) but let me tell you guys – the show was REALLY GREAT!!!! It was a small crowd, I was LITERALLY at the from (if not on) the stage, and the musicians are genuinely talented! I was invited by a couple of the guys who I met on Shabbat (as mentioned in a previous blog…I think) and I also invited this girl named Mor who is basically interning at the Begin Center and works with the IGF staff. We had a GREAT time dancing, singing along (at least those of us who knew the lyrics), and went out for drinks afterwards.


By the time I got home, it was around 2:30am. It was sooooo good – to do something new, hear some good music, participate in ‘local life’, and just be with great people! AKH!!! Life is treating me too well – it’s almost making me nervous, but I’m not one to complain ;-)

So starting from today until Sunday we have a short ‘vacation’. I am on my way to Tel Aviv to spend the New Year with some family, go to the beach, and study Hebrew (remember I told you that wherever I go, my flashcards follow with me). I guess it has just been one adventure after another – I love every minute of it! Oh, and I’m actually meeting up with a friend today who I haven’t seen since Freshman year of High School. His name is Amir (lots of Amir’s apparently) and he is originally from Israel. His parents moved to the states, but freshman year he decided to move back to the Holy Land, and has been here ever since. I’m really curious to see how he has changed and the kind of person he is. He was a sweetheart in high school, so I’m sure that much hasn’t changed ;-) Only one way to find out right? Should be good. I’ll be sure to post pictures and write a new blog with news of how this weekend goes.

Okay, I’m out for now – but I just want to wish everyone (Jewish or not) a wonderful, fulfilling, and prosperous Rosh Hashana. May the new year bring you only the best which life has to offer (and there sure is a lot)!

Shana Tova!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment