Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Who Knew Anti-Semitism Could be so Fun!?!

Hello All!

Just wanted to give you a quick update on what I am doing, that I am at working at MEMRI. I get into the office about 8:30am and leave around 5 or 5:30pm. The people here are so sweet, constantly bringing in food and pasteries (I am going to gain so much weight), and there is plenty of work for me to do! Also, every day, Yigal gives me some kind of article or political analysis to read. How cool right?

Okay, so as far as my what I actually spend my time doing (aside from stuffing my face with bureka's and croissants). I am compiling a huge list of contact information of all the influental newspapers, media outlets, professors, private orgs, and military personal - IN RUSSIA! Yes, it's a massive job, but the good thing about is, is that I am doing a lot of reading in Russian. This is in the office which handles the Arab press.

In addition, I am splitting my time with the office (across the street) which handles Arab television (http://www.memritv.org/). Though I am not doing direct translations (since I don't speak Arabic or Farsi), I am writing all of the transcripts which accompany each video. Also, some videos are all in English. In these cases, I transcribe the clips AND insert all of the subtitles using this special software.

May I just point out, that when you watch one of these 2 minute clips, you can't help but be stunned by the speakers and horrifyed by the messages. But what you *don't* think about, is how much time and work it takes to actually translate, transcribe, and insert subtitles for these little clips. It is SOOOO MUCH WORK!!! Seriously!!! A 10 minute clip can easily take about 3 hours to complete!!!! It's really incredible. I can't tell you how much my appreciate for this organization has grown, that I understand the work people are doing here. wow!

Many people ask, including myself, how you can watch these videos - day in and day out, over and over again. People talking about the slaughter of Jews, the glory of martyrdom, the evilness of America and the West. It's astounding and incredibly disturbing. I'll admit that the first time I transcribed one of these clips, I couldn't believe that my own fingers were typing these terrible things. It's a legitimate feeling. But the truth is - you get over it, treat the words and words, and even laugh off some of the more ridiculous statements crazy people make. There are people here who have been dealing with this for years, and have just learned to dissasociate themselves. Pretty nuts though.

Anymmoo - that's about it for now. I actually have to run. I am going to be working with Proffessor Menahem (who gave us the lecture on our first visit to MEMRI) - and then we (IGF) have a lecture with Prof. Irwin Cotler (who is AMAZING!).

Hope everyone's week is going well!
:) בלה

1 comment:

  1. You know I was also thinking that watching that "chereful" stuff day after day can make you very depressed. But looks like you already found a way to deal with it, which is good, since if you don't it can really start eating you (guess cops may feel the same).
    Great, commend you on being so motivated and tenacious.

    ReplyDelete