Sunday, March 21, 2010

My First Wedding (EVER) and the Jerusalem 10k

Shalom Lekulam!

Look at me getting back into the bloggosphere! ;-) I promise this isn't going to be a novel of a post like the last one was. Just wanted to mention to fun little events that happened last week.

The first (if you haven't already gathered from the title of this entry), is that I went to a wedding....for the first time in my life! My Hebrew teacher invited me to her wedding (which was incredibly nice of her, considering that i've only known her for 2 months at most). My friends Shaul and Shaike (who introduced me to Meirav) took me to the wedding. I got to dress up, and I even managed to find sleeves which matched perfectly with my dress! (Sleeves because I needed to be kosher).

It was sooo beautiful and a lot of fun. A traditional Jewish wedding is so different from the american weddings you see in the movies. No bridesmaids/groomsmen, no walking down the isle. There were a couple hundred people there...which is SMALL by Israeli standards! The newlyweds don't eat at a table overlooking the entire hall of guests. Instead, they come out for the dancing and then go from table to table, greeting all the guests, getting blessings, and thanking everybody! (It's actually a lot of work!) Meirav looked absolutely stunning in the dress and all in all it was a great time!





Two days later - I ran the Jerusalem 10k! (There was also a half-marathon, but I am nowhere near being able to run that much. Maybe in my next life.) Though it drizzled a bit in the mornining, it turned out to be a beautiful day. I knew 3 other people running the half-marathon, and I got to see everyone, cheer them on, and get amped up for my own run. This run was a bit different from Tel Aviv for a number of reasons. Firstly - it's all hills here! SWhile there are plenty of flat roads in T.A. - Jerusalem has maybe...1...at best! ahha. Secondly, the route itself wasn't as exciting (maybe because I know the neighborhood?) But also, the paths we were running on were very narrow at times which is kind of scary - people are shoving, swerving around runners, and slowing down a lot.



In the end, it was still fun. I finished in 1 hour 2 min and 46 seconds! Tamar and Paul (Director and sub-director of IGF) were at the finish line and gave me a chocolate medal! (The best kind there is!! ;-) So it was good.

The only bad news is that I found out that I'm semi-flatfooted. This explains why my knees and hips hurt so much when I run! The only thing that can really be done about this, is to go to a pediatrist to get special insoles made. Great - now I have to be self-conscious about my feet?!?! just kidding. It's not a big deal, but I haven't been running since. Not because I'm lazy (though i am), but simply because it hurts! So we'll see what happens with that. Maybe I'll just keep doing 10k's - afterall, you get a free shirts and people think you're fit!!! haha.

In other news, mom is coming to visit me in 6 days!!!! weeeeeee!! so stay tuned - i'm sure I'll have plenty of stories :)

*~* Shabbat Shalom *~*
בלה

No comments:

Post a Comment